Saturday, 17 June 2017

the weekend



It has been lovely and hot all day, during the evening there was a nice breeze so I sewed for a while in the garden. This is a beach cover up I made from a sarong I bought for  a fiver last year and never wore, I liked the fabric so decided the pattern would lend itself well to this revamp.



The gold edging for the neckline was 38p a metre from Fabricland and there was virtually no sewing other than giving it shoulders and cutting/edging the neckline itself as the sarong had a nice rolled edge on all sides.  I might do  again as it's a very easy and cheap make.


I was in Brighton yesterday and took a moment to snap some very pretty graffiti - every time I visit  Trafalgar Road the graffiti has changed so this was a refreshing surprise.



I always visit the library if I have time as they have some very good art books to ponder and also some of the cleanest toilets in Brighton! ... then it was onwards for a spot of beach therapy.  Just the sound of the sea gulls and the rolling waves charges my batteries.   I was on a budget so my lunch was a vegetarian scotch egg, bottled water and a banana on the beach.



The charity shops around here are a bit pricey for me but I really appreciate the window displays, this one in particular gets really good vintage stuff and the staff love dressing the windows to perfection.  I expect this black and white theme was all designer and definitely vintage.  Dresses like this don't ever go out of fashion and we're made to last.

Tomorrow it's the gym and some garden sunbathing.... hope you're enjoying your weekend wherever you may be.  Thanks for stopping by...

















14 comments:

  1. What a nice artist date you had! I bet it stimulated your creative juices!
    Isn't it wonderful when the sun shines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very hot, we have been having a heatwave in the UK, but I took plenty of water.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your beach cover-up! So pretty and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, I was surprised how easy it was.

      Delete
  3. Love the caftan Betty. Such a great idea & I am sure you will get loads of wear from it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so, it's so lightweight and doesn't crease.

      Delete
  4. Hello, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always nice to 'meet' a fellow blogger.
    What a good idea to up-cycle a sarong. I think I'd add some side stitching to make it a little more enclosed - but only because the UK can get breezy :)
    I often wonder how many of my clothes I'll still have and wear ten years from now, vintage clothes fascinate me, I wonder how they can have lasted for so long, but you hit the nail on the head - they were made to last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vintage clothing always has very tiny waists as I think women are a different shape these days - but yes, seems were better sewn and there was no nasty nylon locking stitch on vintage items. I think I might take your advice and sew the sides a little on my sarong!

      Delete
  5. You've done a wonderful job on the sarong makeover, i love the gold braiding! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the braiding was so cheap! just pennies, but very difficult to sew as it frays if you don't have a very small sharp needle.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had fun, even on a budget! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always fun, never the same twice.

      Delete
  7. How clever of you to upcycle your sarong. It's lovely. Great job. I was laughing at your 'banana on the beach'! Brighton's on my bucket list, which is getting longer every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bananas on the beach is about the cheapest thing you can find in Brighton!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.